By Tiffany Deluccia
Filled with all the fullness of God.
Can you imagine?
Does your heart soar at the thought?
What an antithesis to small town days and mundane jobs; what a contrast to the rat race and the hurdles, to the beauty competitions and poverty talks and good intentions…and all the things the world offers that drain the very light from our eyes. The light God put in them. The Light of the world.
The fullness of God. What hope, on our worst day or on our best.
Back up with me to Ephesians 3:14. Pauls prays for a series of things:
– That God would grant the Ephesians to be strengthened in the inner person by the Holy Spirit.
– That they would be rooted and grounded in love because Christ dwells in their hearts.
– That they would be able to comprehend the vastness of Christ’s love – which he concedes is beyond human understanding.
– That they may be filled with all the fullness of God.
This passage sets up the oft-quoted, “Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly, abundantly above all we can ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be the glory…” (vs. 20)
This should say to us:
– He is able to show us more of the love of Christ than we can even ask for.
– He is able to strengthen us on the inside by the Holy Spirit to an extent beyond our comprehension
– He is able to root us, set us up on stronger foundations of love that we knew were possible.
– He is able to fill us with the fullness of Himself.
And we only must ask and believe. That’s the glory of it all. His live given for ours.
Photo Credit: Vladimer Shioshvili Flickr cc